Register now for the Don't mess with Texas Trash-Off!
Hosting a cleanup event is as easy as 1 - 2 - 3! Follow these simple steps to get involved, and together, we will all make Texas the cleanest, most beautiful state in the nation.
Before your Event
- Search for an event in your area or register your own event.
- Request free supplies at least three weeks prior to your event.
- Listen to our pre-recorded KTB training webinar - Event Tips and Ideas: Great American Cleanup and Don't mess with Texas Trash-Off. Please note that you will have to complete a brief registration form to access the recording.
- Promote your event on social media and in your community using the Great American Cleanup/Don't mess with Texas Trash-Off Toolkit. If you have registered for an event, the toolkit gives you access to tips, tools and other Great American Cleanup resource materials.
During Your Event
- Use our data collection cards to record important information for your wrap-up report.
- Be sure to take plenty of photographs.
- Share exciting moments on social media and be sure to tag KTB on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
After Your Event
- Complete your wrap-up report.
- Enter the Most Unusual Item Contest. KTB holds this contest every year, and the winner receives a $100 Lowe's gift certificate! To enter, add a picture of your "Most Unusual Item" to your event wrap-up report. One entry per wrap-up report - must be completed by June 8 to be included in the contest. Items will be judged at the KTB annual conference with the winner announced in mid-June.
What is the Don't mess with Texas Trash-Off?
The Don’t mess with Texas Trash-Off is the single largest one-day cleanup event in the state and serves as Texas’s signature event for the Great American Cleanup, the nation's largest community improvement program, held annually from March 1 through May 31. The Don’t mess with Texas Trash-Off is part of TxDOT’s litter prevention program, which includes Don’t mess with Texas, Adopt-a-Highway, and a grassroots partnership with Keep Texas Beautiful.
Participants interested in using the Don't mess with Texas logo must receive prior approval from TxDOT as DMWT is federally registered and owned by TxDOT, thus cannot be used without permission.
The use of the Don't mess with Texas logo for the printing of t-shirts is not allowed, regardless of if they are not for profit. You may use the Don't mess with Texas Trash-Off logo, as part of our agreement with TxDOT, but the Don't mess with Texas logo by itself cannot be used.
For additional information please contact Christine Chute Canul.