Green Bag Grants
Keep Texas Beautiful (KTB), H-E-B, and Central Market are proud to offer once again the Green Bag Grant Program, which provides $25,000 in funding for new and existing programs across Texas.
Projects can fall within the following categories and can be used in both formal and informal educational settings:
- Beautification/Community Greening
- Litter Prevention
- Wildlife/Species Protection
- Waste Reduction
- Water Conservation
Questions? Contact Sara Walters
Eligible applicants are KTB affiliates in H-E-B/Central Market service areas with Gold Star, Silver Star
or Good Standing affiliate status. While not a requirement, affiliates are strongly encouraged to
partner with local schools, youth groups, H-E-B stores, recreational venues, government agencies
and/or community organizations. Multiple projects in a community may be funded, but a separate
application must be received for each distinct project.
Past funded projects include:
- Trail restoration
- Outdoor learning facility at local school
- Event recycling supplies
- Native garden grant at local library
Check out some examples of past funded projects here.
The minimum grant award is $500, and the maximum award is $3,000.
Projects must be completed and funding spent by July 21, 2023. If total project costs exceed grant amount, the
project can be completed using other sources of funding. Please note, however, the project must be completed or
the funding will need to be returned to KTB. Applicants must agree to submit a final report on their project by
August 18, 2023 (see Timeline section for more details).
Special consideration for all awards will be given to projects that:
● Involve schools, scouts, or other youth groups
● Partner with local H-E-B store
● Serve low-income or under-served populations
Project concepts could include, but are not limited to:
● Education (formal/informal) and outreach
● Implementation of programs
Funds may NOT be used for the following purposes:
● Governmental or corporate recycling programs
● Repayment of existing debt or obligations
● Payment of organizational overhead
● Legal fees
● Loan or bank fees
● Subsidization of existing contracts
● Ongoing staff expenses
● Pass-through grants
● Field Trips
Only fully completed entries submitted on time, by eligible parties, and in compliance with the guidelines will be
judged. Grantees may be required to participate in a regional press event.
Only fully completed entries submitted on time, by eligible parties, and in compliance with the guidelines will be judged. Grantees may be required to participate in a regional press event.
Use of Social Media and pictures to promote the activities and sponsor
● Grant recipients must post 2 photos of their GBG program to Facebook and/or Twitter, tagging the
following and including the hashtag #ktbgreenbaggrants and #HEBHelpingHere
● Keep Texas Beautiful - @keeptxbeautiful
● H-E-B/Central Market - @HEB
● Contribute a brief summary, to be used on the Affiliate page of the KTB website
Timeline● September 12, 2022: Applications open
● September 29, 2022: Application(s) must be received by KTB by 5 p.m. CT
● October 28, 2022: Winners will be notified and grant funds distributed
● July 21, 2023: Projects must be complete and grant funds spent
● August 18, 2023: Final report form must be received by KTB
Please note: By accepting funds for their project, grant applicants consent to completing the final report on time.
Failure to do so will result in loss of KTB affiliate benefits and future grant participation.
Winners will be selected by a panel of judges. All decisions made by the judges are final. Grant allocations will be determined by scope of service.
- Application must be submitted through the specific online application form.
- All questions on the application form online must be completed with adequate information and detail.
- Please DO NOT submit materials that are not requested in the application. They will not be used in the judging process.
- Applications must be submitted to KTB by Thursday, September 29, 2022 by 5 p.m. CT.
Sponsored by H-E-B and Central Market