Green Bag Grants
Applications are now closed. Winners will be announced October 12, 2018.
Keep Texas Beautiful (KTB) and H-E-B, Central Market are proud to offer once again the Green Bag Grant Program, which provides $25,000 in funding for new and existing programs across Texas.
Projects can fall within the following categories and can be used in both formal and informal educational settings:
- Beautification/Community Greening
- Litter Prevention
- Waste Reduction
- Water Conservation
- Plastic bag recycling/reduction
- The minimum grant award is $150, and the maximum award is $3,000. A printable version of application questions may be found here.
- September 13, 2018: Application(s) must be received by KTB by 5 p.m.
- October 5, 2018: Winners will be notified
- October 10, 2018: Mandatory webinar for winners
- October 15, 2018: Grant funding will be distributed ($100 to be withheld until final report complete)
- July 11, 2019: Final report form must be received by KTB (remaining $100 will be distributed after the final report is completed)
Eligible applicants are KTB affiliates in H-E-B/Central Market service areas with Gold Star, Silver Star or Good Standing affiliate status. While not a requirement, affiliates are strongly encouraged to partner with local schools, youth groups, H-E-B stores, recreational venues, government agencies and/or community organizations. Multiple projects in a community may be funded, but a separate application must be received for each distinct project.
Past funded projects include:
- Trail restoration
- Outdoor learning facility at local school
- Event recycling supplies
- Native garden grant at local library
Projects must be completed within 9 months of receipt of grant award. If total project costs exceed grant amount, the project can be completed using other sources of funding. Please note, however, the project must be completed. Applicants must agree to submit a brief Progress Report and Wrap-up Report form by the deadlines noted (see “Timeline” section).
Special consideration for all awards will be given to projects that:
- Involve schools, scouts, or other youth groups
- Partner with local H-E-B store
- Serve low-income or under-served populations
Project concepts could include, but are not limited to:
- Education (formal/informal) and outreach
- Implementation of programs
Funds may NOT be used for the following purposes:
- Governmental or corporate recycling programs
- Repayment of existing debt or obligations
- Payment of organizational overhead
- Legal fees
- Loan or bank fees
- Subsidization of existing contracts
- Ongoing staff expenses
- Pass-through grants
- Field Trips
Only fully completed entries submitted on time, by eligible parties, and in compliance with the guidelines will be judged. Grantees may be required to participate in a regional press event.
Use of Social Media and pictures to promote the activities and sponsor
- Grant recipients much post 2 photos of their GBG program to Facebook and/or Twitter, tagging the following and including the hashtag#ktbgreenbaggrants
- Keep Texas Beautiful - @keeptxbeautiful
- H-E-B/Central Market - @HEB
- Contribute a brief summary, to be used on the Affiliate page of the KTB website
- Social Media Guide
2017-2018 Winning Communities
Congratulations to this year's 2017-2018 Green Bag Grant winners, which provide $25,000 in funding for new and existing programs for eligible KTB affiliates across the state.
2017-2018 Green Bag Grant Winners' Final Projects
Sponsored by H-E-B and Central Market