Governor’s Community Achievement Awards
More information on the 2018 Governor's Community Achievement Award (GCAA) will be made available in late 2017.
For more than thirty years, Keep Texas Beautiful, in partnership with the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), has awarded the prestigious Governor's Community Achievement Awards to Texas communities for their outstanding overall efforts to keep their communities beautiful.
This year, ten winning communities will share $2 million in landscape awards from the Texas Department of Transportation, with the amount based on population size. The funds are used for landscaping projects along local rights-of-way. A community's environmental program is judged on achievements in seven areas:
- Community Leadership and Coordination
- Public Awareness
- Beautification and Community Improvement
- Litter Prevention and Cleanup
- Solid Waste Management
- Litter Law and Illegal Dumping Enforcement
We are excited to announce the winners of the 2017 Governor's Community Achievement Awards (GCAA). Congratulations to the winning communities!
Governor’s Community Achievement Awards, First Place Winners
For the full list of winning communities, please click here.
Applications for the 2018 GCAA will be made available online in September and will be due February 2018.
To learn more about our awards training program, including our free, pre-recorded webinars, please click here.
Landscape Awards by Population Size Categories
|Category||Population||Landscape Award Amount|
|Category 1||Up to 3,000||$90,000|
|Category 2||3,001 - 5,500||$110,000|
|Category 3||5,501 - 9,000||$130,000|
|Category 4||9,001 - 15,000||$160,000|
|Category 5||15,001 - 25,000||$180,000|
|Category 6||25,001 - 40,000||$210,000|
|Category 7||40,001 - 65,000||$250,000|
|Category 8||65,001 - 90,000||$270,000|
|Category 9||90,001 - 180,000||$290,000|
|Category 10||Over 180,000||$310,000|
Why should my community apply?
Every community in Texas can win! While many of our applications come from cities and towns that are part of the KTB affiliate network, that is not a requirement. Our goal is to recognize communities who are working diligently to create and sustain comprehensive environmental and beautification programs.
- Applying for the GCAA creates a written record of your community's environmental achievements, helpful when applying for grants and state funding.
- Working toward the GCAA brings together various segments of the community, including schoolchildren, adult volunteers and law enforcement, creating a sense of community pride.
- Studies show that a focus on litter prevention and beautification has positive economic effects on the community, reducing crime rates, and increasing tourism and economic development.
- Winning a GCAA earns your community positive statewide recognition, prestige in your region and a plaque from TxDOT you can proudly display in a prominent place, such as City Hall.